Our client, the UK’s most effective and influential business organisation, is looking for a Communications Advisor to join their Glasgow based team.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Communications in London and the Directors of Scotland and Northern Ireland, this role will appeal to an experienced communications professional who will advise on all aspects of communications for the organisation in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Working as part of the Corporate Communications team, the Communications Adviser will be responsible for the day-to-day media handling and providing strategic communications advice. The Communications Adviser will also be an integral member of the teams in Belfast and Glasgow and although the role will be based in Glasgow, the role-holder will be expected to spend time in Belfast.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing and implementing the communications strategies for the organisation in Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Actively identifying opportunities to position the organisation and its members in the media in the key policy areas supporting their ‘Prosperity Agenda’
- Daily decision making on media handling, taking into account wider political and membership considerations
- Writing and advising on press releases, blogs, articles, statements, op-eds, tweets and materials for publication in the media, on the website and across social media
- Handling day to day media enquiries, including arranging TV, radio and print interviews, and briefing journalists on the organisations policies and related issues
- Driving social media activity for Scotland and Northern Ireland, in particular establishing a Twitter following and activity in both Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Arranging media interviews for senior staff and members, preparing relevant briefing materials and ensuring they are fully briefed
- Organising press conferences, photo calls, media roundtables, including with member companies, plus arranging ad hoc media events
- Working to create opportunities for placed articles and features, with a priority on broadcast and social media
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, in particular ensuring that the Directors in Scotland and Northern Ireland have good relationships with key media.
Essential Skills & Experience
- At least 4 years’ experience in relevant roles either dealing with or working in the media / politics (i.e.: media relations, journalism or public affairs)
- Knowledge and understanding of current affairs/political environment/experience of Government
- Excellent creative writing skills
- Good all round communicator
- Ability to create media opportunities – national, regional, on-line and international – which assist the organisation to put across the business message more successfully
- Ability to be flexible/think laterally in problem solving
- Flexible approach to working hours – when news agenda demands is necessary
- Willingness to work out of hours (including weekends and bank holidays) on a pager rota system is desirable
The ideal candidate will be collaborative, resourceful and proactive. They will be adaptable and responsive to ever shifting priorities as well as bringing a commercial awareness of the wider business environment and landscape. We are looking for an innovative problem solver who is able to evaluate risk and generate new ideas that challenge the status quo.
If this sounds like the ideal role for you then please apply with your CV and a supporting statement telling me why your experience makes you ideal for this fantastic opportunity.